Sunday, May 2, 2010

Packing Lists

The last time that I saw such a list of things was when I was off on my first summer at Village Creek Bible Camp, packing about a week in advance because I was so excited!

While this packing list for Kenya and Minah is very exciting, I am also caught in a state of wonder. Wondering how I am to fit all sorts of crazy things into one suitcase. Wondering what I would do if God weren't backing me all the way on this trip. Wondering how I am going to make it through the last week of Spring semester classes and the finals week without itching to pack all of the things I am going to take with me. I wonder when I will find time to pack with a sound mind, wondering where in the world I will find a sound mind. Wonder if this what God means when He characterizes Himself as an all consuming fire!!!

Let me take you through the packing list and tell you my "tid bit" thoughts. I will put my thoughts in brackets:

The Section for Girl's Clothing:

Skirts: around 5 would be good. [I cannot remember the last time that I actually wore a skirt, and I don't have 5... yet. Guess mom and I get to go shopping in a Africa prep trip before I leave]. They must be at least mid calf length for Minah, or even better full length. Make sure you have at least one full length skirt. It’s useful if the skirts aren’t too straight as that makes getting in and out of landcruisers etc difficult. [I am really hoping that landcruisers are just as awesome as they sound]. If you have skirts with pockets they can be useful but not essential![I now have sewing to do... I think I am going to use these comments of mine as a "to do" list in about two weeks].

Slips: To wear under your skirts if they are likely to be see-through in any way. Two slips should be enough depending on the type of skirts you have. [I don't own one].

Tops to match skirts[I believe this means that our team leader would like us to be fashionably sensible enough to match... I always ask roomies now because I am terrible at fashion sense].: I usually find it helpful to have two tops to each skirt. These should not be sleeveless or too low cut.

Pyjamas: A couple of pairs at least. It’s probably good to have at least one more summery pair for the Islands (i.e. shorts and vest top) [what's a vest top in pajama land... certainly don't intend to have one of those]. and a pair of warmer ones for Kenya where it can get cold in places.

Trousers/Pants/Capris: A couple of pairs for travelling in, wearing in Nairobi etc.

Swimming Costume: This should be a one-piece or a tankini. You will also need to wear shorts to swim in when in Minah to respect the culture, you can either bring shorts designed to swim in or normal shorts you don’t mind swimming in. [I am really glad we get to swim!!!!].

Sleeveless tops/vest tops: Bring a couple with you as you can wear them when we are at the beach for debrief or inside houses when in Minah.

Sweatshirts: Bring one or two as it can get cold in some places we’ll visit in Kenya because of the altitude.

Shorts: Bring one or two pairs with you for wearing on the beach we will be doing debrief at. [I don't wear shorts...hmmm this hot place may change my mind though... okay I will bring one].

Underwear [glad there's no required length or style for this... no really good thing].

Socks: Girls you may want to consider bringing a couple of pairs of tights too for the colder parts of Kenya. [how about the red ones with snowflakes and the plain black ones... the one thing I have nailed down as a sure thing are tights].

Sunhat/baseball cap [I don't do hats too well either, Kolby ( my little brother) one of yours is going to go missing :)].

Waterproof jacket: When it rains in Africa it RAINS! You may also want to bring a small umbrella that can fit in your bag. [Amira told me umbrellas aren't used in Sudan, so I will skip. Thank you Tim for the Raincoat].

Fleece/Lightweight jacket: For higher altitude areas in Kenya. [Northface].

Footwear: Comfortable, practical sandals such as walking sandals are great. Bring a pair of trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes too, and a pair of flip flops you don’t mind getting wet that you could wear into the shower if need be. A pair of smart closed-in shoes are also useful in the colder parts of Kenya or for special occasions. [Merrels and going to have to get new ankle wrap sandals because I am not getting sand into the chacos].

Toiletries/Medicines:
Shampoo and conditioner if you use it
Shower gel [pretty sure shower gel is going to be the one thing, I highly doubt that Africa is going to make me worry about my hair, especially since I intend to get it cut short and braided before going so that it is out of my way. No time to worry about such silly things. This will also eliminate the need for a hair brush].

Suntan cream: I would recommend at least factor 25
Deodorant
Razor [debating how necessary this really is... its not if i wear skirts, pants and longselves... sorry for all who are grossed out by that].

Toothbrush and paste [must get travel size paste, possibly for the body wash as well!]
[Good sweetness, how am I going to bring stuff back?]

Insect repellent: Ideally with 50% DEET
Alcohol Gel: Just a small bottle that you can carry in your pocket/bag and use between patients and before eating.

Cleansing wipes: These can be really useful for freshening up especially if there’s a shortage of water where we’re staying.

Hair brush/comb: plus hair ties/clips if you’ve got long hair [taken care of yippy!]

A small mirror: can be useful but not essential [not essential is the key here].

Any Medications you are on
Malaria prophylaxis
Analgesics/Aniti-inflammatories

Oral Rehydration Solution sachets [ what is this]?
Immodium
Bite relief cream
You can bring a full first aid kit if you want but I intend to have a team first aid kit with all the usual supplies in it. [not bringing it then... good to know]

Other things:
Camera
Batteries for your camera: bring plenty or rechargeable ones as they are poor quality and expensive, especially in Minah

Memory stick/jump drive: That way we can share the photos we take as a team. [ wouldn't have thought of that]

Ipod/Mp3 player: Great to listen to when traveling

Journal: You will be expected to journal during the team to help you process what you’re seeing and experiencing [planned on it ;)].
Bible [feel this should be at the top of the list]
Notebook and pen
Sunglasses
Books to read: Just a couple, we’ll also be reading some things about medical work too.

Games: nothing too big! (not essential, just if you want to!)[i shall put them in my imaginary space].

Towels: If you have space it would be good to bring a bath towel and a beach towel [bath yes, beach maybe].

Torch/flashlight: headlamps are great! [torch... really]?

Alarm clock: Or you can use your mobile phone if you prefer [perhaps get intl plan for a month+].

Sleeping bag [that's never gonna fit but i must bring it].

Small backpack: Useful for carrying stuff if we go on a day trip. You may chose just to use your carry-on bag [also planned on that].

Small handbag/purse: I’m mainly thinking of the girls here as guys can carry alot in their pockets but most skirts don’t have pockets  A bag with a strap that you can wear across your body is useful particularly in Nairobi as it makes theft harder. You should be able to fit your wallet, water bottle, and camera into it.

Water bottle: You can bring a dedicated water bottle with you or you can just reuse a 500ml bottle of mineral water bought here [team leader is already in Minah] if you prefer.

Stethoscope: For those training to be medics among you if you already have a stethoscope bring it with you but don’t go out and buy one especially!

Tropical medical book: Again if you already have one bring it with you as it can be useful but if not don’t worry. I have a tropical medical handbook you are welcome to borrow[really want to use this as an excuse to buy one!!!].

With God all things are possible. Even packing a suitcase. Oh, God, please be with my parents and I and give us wisdom in this seemingly frivolous task of packing. Please let us cut the useless and not judge too quickly what will be useless.

1 comment:

  1. You dont need to get an international plan if you're just using your phone as an alarm clock...only if you are making calls.

    Keep your cleansing cloths with you at all times. Trust me. If you don't, you'll run into a place with no toilet paper. lol Better to be safe than sorry.

    Bring a razor. You'll want it for your underarms if it's hot. It's small, and it'll probably be worth it to tuck it into a corner.

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete